I think many of us has been touched by Disney in some way or another in our lives. For me, Disney has played a huge part in my life since I was a wee tot. I remember watching the old black and white Steamboat Willie with grandma where I am sure my love of Mickey Mouse and all things Disney started. Later on, fun memories were created with my mom and siblings when we'd see a Disney film in the theater as a treat, and oh, happy day when my mom bought me the VHS of The Little Mermaid to enjoy over and over again! When I became a mom, I knew that Disney was going to be a huge part of my kid's lives too. Disney has always been a constant when it comes to family bonding, whether it comes from movie night where we are catching the latest Disney flick, reminiscing over old photos from our trips to the theme park, or just belting out our favorite tunes in the car. I'm pretty sure there are many families out there who've had carpool karaoke, jamming out to Let It Go a time or two, right?
Aside from the super cute characters and fun story lines, the one thing that always puts me in a happy place is the music of Disney. How can you not want to move and groove when you hear Everybody Wants to be a Cat or The Bear Necessities? I know I do! When I heard that there was a new compilation of Disney music, I couldn't wait have a listen. Jazz Loves Disney offers listeners big jazz band covers of songs that are a part of every kid's heritage.
Walt Disney loved jazz and paid close attention to the writing of the music that accompanied his hero's adventures. Teams wrote and played the songs that at some point acted as a catalyst of the emotions of unique characters such as Tinker Bell, Jiminy Cricket, and even Baloo, and several of those songs have either been nominated for or won an Academy Award.
With Jazz Loves Disney, produced by Jay Newland and arranged and directed by Rob Mounsey, you'll get a special feeling of the good old days when you hear popular artists such as Gregory Porter, Melody Gardot and Stacey Kent singing some of of your favorite classic Disney tunes. The album has 13 tracks that are so enjoyable to listen to:
1. Jamie Cullum – "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat" – from The Aristocats
2. Melody Gardot – "He’s A Tramp" – from Lady And The Tramp
3. Stacey Kent – "Bibbidi Bobbodo Boo" (French version) – from Cinderella
4. Gregory Porter – "When You Wish Upon A Star" – from Pinocchio
5. China Moses – "Why Don’t You Do Right" – from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
6. Raphaël Gualazzi – "I Wanna Be Like You" – from The Jungle Book
7. The Rob Mounsey Orchestra – "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" – from Cinderella
8. Hugh Coltman – "You’ve Got A Friend In Me" – from Toy Story
9. Anne Sila – "Let It Go" – from Frozen
10. Melody Gardot & Raphaël Gualazzi – "The Bare Necessities" – from The Jungle Book
11. Laika – "Once Upon A Dream" – from Sleeping Beauty
12. Nikki Yanofsky -"Someday My Prince Will Come" – from Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
13. The Hot Sardines – I Wanna Be Like You (French & English version) – from The Jungle Book (US release only)
My personal favorites are I Wanna Be Like You and Bibbidi Bobbodo Boo. The first because when my daughter Mariah was about 3, she loved The Jungle Book. I'm sure she watched that film daily. It was also the year she insisted on running around in nothing but a pair of underwear, so we nicknamed her Mowgli. Every time I hear I Wanna Be Like You, it takes me back to those special days when she believed in the magic of talking animals and how she'd dance around in her underpants singing her favorite Jungle Book songs.
Bibbidi Bobbodo Boo is also a favorite because I love the smooth jazzy vibe of the song, and it reminds me of the time Allison went to Disney and met Cinderella, which is probably many little girl's dream. It was such a special day where memories that will last a lifetime were made.
All of the song covers are so catchy, I can't help but to smile and sing along. The new Jazz Loves Disney album is now available to download on Itunes and Amazon. Grab your copy today and start some toe tapping fun with your family too!
What are some of your favorite Disney tunes?